Here is my favorite recipe for Chinese Orange Chicken. It is easy to make and should not take you more than 30 minutes. Great dinner idea and you can take the leftovers (if there are any) for lunch.
Dr.SuzHeals Chinese Orange Chicken Serves 4
- 1 1/4 lbs. skinless organic chicken breast (approx. 3-4 medium chicken breasts)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, olive oil or sunflower oil
- Salt and Pepper (seasoning)
- 1/2 cup organic orange juice or fresh squeezed
- 1/4 cup raw organic honey
- 2 tbsp. all natural cornstarch or arrowroot starch (I suggest trying the arrowroot)
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- garnish: toasted sesame seeds, sliced green onion
- 4 cups cooked rice of your choice (brown, jasmine, forbidden rice, etc. ) OR you can use lettuce of your choice to make lettuce wraps instead of rice to help in weight loss or lower blood sugar.
1. Cut Chicken breasts into 1 inch pieces, season with salt and pepper. Heat coconut oil or other oil in a large frying or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook making sure to stir occasionally until chicken brown on outside and almost fully cooked. Tip: You want to make sure chicken is not over cooked at this point because it will finish cooking in the sauce.
2. To make the process quicker, while the chicken is cooking you can make the sauce! In a small bowl you will whisk together the orange juice, honey, rice vinegar, starch, sesame oil, garlic and red pepper flakes.
3. Add the sauce to the chicken in the pan used to cook chicken. Continue to cook the chicken in the sauce for another 3 minutes until sauce thickens up. Remove from heat and serve over rice or next to lettuce wraps
4. Complete the dish by garnishing the chicken with the sesame seeds and green onions if desired.